Hesam Seyed Mousavi, May 26, 2013
By Tugberk Ugurlu , Alexander Zeitler , Ali Kheyrollahi
Pro ASP.NET Web API shows you how to build flexible, extensible web services that run seamlessly on a range of operating systems and devices, from desktops to tablets to smart phones—even the ones we don’t know today.
ASP.NET Web API is a new framework designed to simplify web service architecture. So if you’re tired of interoperability issues between inflexible web services and clients tied to specific platforms or programming languages, or if you’ve ever struggled with WCF, this book is for you.
In Part I, you’ll get up to speed on Web API’s modern HTTP programming model, REST and your hosting options. Part II takes you through building a real application so you can see straight away how to put this new technology into practice. The second half of the book features dedicated chapters on topics like routing, controllers, validation and tracing, and the authors close with discussions on performance, security and an all-important look at unit testing to help you prepare your application for the real world.
ASP.NET Web API makes HTTP a first-class citizen of .NET. With Pro ASP.NET Web API, you can build HTTP-based web services for your company or business, expose your data to the world across different formats and devices and gain the best possible global reach for your application.
What you’ll learn
- The basics of HTTP web services
- How to build HTTP-based web services on the .NET platform
- In-depth knowledge of ASP.NET Web API and its processing architecture
- How to Unit Test an ASP.NET Web API application
- Asynchronous programming with ASP.NET Web API
- Consuming HTTP-based web services across several different clients
Who this book is for
Whether you’ve previously worked with WCF or are an ASP.NET developer diving into web services for the first time, Pro ASP.NET Web API will show you a clean, modern approach to building HTTP web services.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to ASP.NET Web API
- Introduction to Asynchronous Programing in .NET
- HTTP / REST / Hypermedia
- HttpClient – Working With HTTP
- Sample Application: Application Structure and Domain Model
- Sample Application: Building the Web API
- Sample Application: Building The Wrapper and Web Client
- Controllers and Actions
- Message Handlers
- Media Type Formatters and Model Binding
- Input Validation
- Dependency Injection
- Unit Testing
- Optimization and Performance
- Hosting and Deployment
- Additional ASP.NET Web API Features